So I finally got some time to switch over to Windows 7. Here are the main reasons I decided to switch.
- Free Pro Copy From School
- Snap to sides / top for resizing windows.
- Faster Startup, shutdown, and sleep (noticeably so, I come out of sleep mode in 2 seconds)
- New taskbar with pinning of apps
- Make your desktop background a slideshow
- Cool New Shortcuts
- Library Feature
- Sticky Notes and other cool new programs
- Improved Windows Media Center – I might actually use it now
I decided to do a clean install to get rid of all the old programs on my previous vista hard drive. Luckily I had a spare hard drive so I could keep the old one running vista as I slowly transfer over.
Here are the essential apps I needed along with any special notes. All of these apps are free and work fantastic.
TweetDeck – Twitter client
Eclipse – Programming in Java? You should be using eclipse
Firefox – So many great extensions, make sure to set a master password and transfer over your profile
VisualSVN Server – Great windows service for running a SVN server. Takes care of everything for you. Now you can have version control for your own projects. I even use it for my documents, makes transferring computers much easier. Check here for info on transferring over your repository.
TortoiseSVN – THE windows client for SVN. If you have troubles importing your repo, its cause windows is trying to index the svn files. You should make sure your not indexing any repositories, or at least not the .svn folders.